1800 059 170

News and information...

What do I need to bring and wear to the course?

All course materials are supplied, including tools. You need to wear your work type clothing and covered footwear, as the course involves practical workshop activities.

Where are the courses actually held?

Perth – 3 St Kilda Rd, Belmont

Darwin – 65 Stuart Hwy, Stuart Park

In other places we hire facilities for the courses. Click here for more locations.

Is GST applicable to the course fee?

No. The total price shown is what you pay. This includes a $20 Trainee License fee paid to the Australian Refrigeration Council by us for the Split System course.


Who can do the course?

Anyone. There is a requirement for some cabling experience (whether electrical, phone, date, security, AV). This can be done after the course. Please ring to discuss your situation.

All the other courses I have seen do it in 5 days. Why can you do this course in 3?

Because we send you the course text/workbook and you complete some work before the ‘face to face’ session. We plan to offer this course partially ‘on line’ later in the year. This delivery suits people who can’t afford to spend 5 days sitting in a classroom.


Do I have to be an electrician to do the course?

Non-electricians can do the ‘Design’ accreditation if they are Electrical Engineers or have a Restricted Electrical License. Only licensed electricians can do the Design and Install accreditation.

What is the advantage of getting Clean Energy Council accreditation?

Accreditation enables you to get access to any government incentives. Initially, this was an $8000 grant, then it became RECs and now called they are STCs. This incentive could make the price of a 1.5 kilowatt system up to $800 cheaper.

My customers think that solar is too expensive and are reluctant to install it.

When electricity prices are double what they are now the cost is halved. In the course, we do some calculations which typically show that for a 1.5 kilowatt system the payback period is 3-6 years. As the panels have a 25-year warranty this means a lot of electricity for free for many years. There are other considerations which we discuss in the class.


Is GST applicable to the course fee?

No. The $550 is the total course fee. No GST is applicable

Do I need to have any trade background to do the course?

No. The course involves no electrical work and is about testing appliances, leads and RCD’s (safety switches). The course deals with the requirements of Australian Standard 3760, State/Territory Legislation and practical issues.

Where are the courses held?

In Perth, Adelaide and Darwin we use our training centres. In other places, we try to rent premises from community organisations as they always appreciate the additional income. On enrolment details of the venue will be provided.

What do I need to bring to the course?

Nothing; covered footwear is required and all course materials are provided.

What do I get at the end of the course?

On successful completion of the assessment tasks (theory and practical), you will be issued with a Statement of  Attainment listing the two units completed. These units are recognised nationally. Skillbuild Training will issue a plastic card detailing the competency achieved. Please be aware that this card will state a 3-year renewal requirement, which allows for changes to Legislation and AS3760 being implemented.

Can I repair faulty appliances or leads that fail the tests?

No. Only licensed electricians/contractors can do electrical work. You can apply to the relevant licensing authority in your state/territory to gain a Restricted Electrical License, but generally, there has to be some justification for this license.


Do I have to have a formal trade qualification to complete the AC course?

Participants must be trade qualified or have worked as a trades assistant for at least 12 months, or in their second year of an apprenticeship to meet the requirements of the training package. You must provide copies of your trade certificate and/or statement of attainment (results). If you don’t have these available we can suggest some other ways to provide evidence of competency. You will have to complete some forms for the Recognition of Prior Learning process. These will be provided during the course.

What happens if I can’t attend? Do I get a refund?

Look at the cancellation policy in course information, but generally, we offer a partial refund depending on notice or a credit for another course at a later date.

Can I do the course without a Trainee License from the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC)?

No. ARC require all participants to have this license. On enrolment, you must supply us with a passport sized photo endorsed on the back (see the ARC form). We pay the $20 fee.

When do I have to pay for the course?

We require a $1000 payment on enrolment (either through our website or credit card details over the phone). This locks in your place. If this hasn’t been paid within 1 week of receiving the enrollment information we may give your place to another applicant. The balance of $980 must be paid on the first day of the course, Eftpos facilities are available.

When do I get my qualification?

For all courses within 4 weeks of completing the course. It will either be given to you at the end of the course or posted out. For the AC course, an additional copy of your results is enclosed to send with your application to ARC for a Refrigerant Handling Licence.

Is the Split System qualification all I need to install split system Air Conditioners?

This is all the ARC require but you might need to check with state licensing authorities to confirm that they do not have additional requirements. NSW Office of Fair Trading and the VIC Plumbers and Gasfitters Licensing Board have additional requirements.

Are refreshments provided?

Tea, coffee and biscuits are available. Generally, we provide lunch unless you are informed otherwise. Any particular dietary requirements are catered for.